Sunday, July 20, 2008

CERAMICS 001


Von Allen my ceramics teacher challenged each of us to take a symbol and create 25 models in modeling clay from it, then we chose one to enlarge up to 25-30" in long beach clay. I chose a five pointed star as my symbol. Creating 25 models was a stretch of our imaginations, so it was a very valuable exercise. I relearned how brainstorming and drafting can help when beginning a project. I felt good about the model I chose to enlarge.

2" Model (Face)

2" Model (Side)

After a few quick calculations I was ready to build. The main point of the lesson was to learn how versatile pinching is and how large you can build in clay. I had a rough beginning, middle, and end but I learned a lot and was happy with the results.

25" Enlargement (Face)

25" Enlargement (Side)

I have been slowly letting it dry and secretly enjoying having it around because I am pretty sure it will explode in the kiln just like my classmate's sculptures did.

No comments: